Cats defecate, usually, at least once a day. When they suffer from constipation, they can do it every 2 or 4 days. Sometimes, the interval of days is even greater. In these cases, the appearance of the feces is usually of dry and hard consistency, due to the amount of time they remain in the feline's colon.
POSSIBLE CAUSES OF CONSTIPATION IN CATS
The reasons why a cat can suffer constipation are varied and of different kinds. Among them, the lack of exercise, obesity, an inadequate diet, dehydration, pelvic infection, intestinal obstruction, or problems arising from their advanced age.
The obstruction may be due to the ingestion of substances that the cat digests with difficulty, such as objects or excess hair, which frequently occurs in long-haired cats. Cats with this characteristic, usually swallow hair when groomed daily. In most cases, they vomit periodically. But if they fail, the hair can accumulate, causing serious consequences in your colon (obstruction or enlarged colon).
In this circumstance, you can replace your usual dry diet with another that minimizes the formation of hairballs reducing their fall. This type of diet contains a series of essential nutrients (high quality proteins, vitamin E and fatty acids such as linoleic acid), as well as a high fiber content necessary to prevent this problem.
Detecting constipation in cats on time is essential to remedy and avoid major complications. The main measure you should take is the observation of your cat's defecation routine (difficulty, effort, frequency and appearance of feces).
Your mood change (excessive nervousness, lack of appetite, lethargy), together with the alteration of your habitual behavior, can also give you relevant clues. If your cat is constipated, he will successively go to his sandbox to try to defecate, thus evidencing his abdominal discomfort. If you repeat this behavior for more than 2 days, arrange a visit with the veterinarian so you can explore it in detail, determine its severity, and administer the necessary medication.
In parallel, make sure that your cat has clean and fresh water at your fingertips, and introduce moist food into its diet, which in addition to favoring its level of appetite (for texture and variety of ingredients), will contribute to providing the percentage of moisture that your body needs to promote proper digestion and healthy evacuation.
Detecting constipation in cats on time is essential to remedy and avoid major complications.
IN THIS ARTICLE
- Constipation or Constipation in Cats
- What is the difference between constipation and constipation?
- What are the signs of these conditions?
- What causes constipation and constipation?
- How are these conditions diagnosed?
- How are these conditions treated?
You'll Love This Curly-Coated Kitty
The friendly and inquisitive LaPerm has an easy-care coat that comes in a variety of colors and patterns.
Constipation in cats
Like many other animals, cats may suffer obstruction due to abnormal stool accumulation and to have difficulty evacuating them. Constipation that should worry us is when this problem gets to obstruct the entire colon, since it will mean that the cat has been too many days without being able to defecate and accumulating waste that the body needs to expel.
It may be that watching your cat's litter box you realize that he has not defecated for some day. You may also realize that you just did it and notice that the stool is hard and dry. This will indicate that he had been trying to defecate without success for days and therefore that our cat suffers from constipation.
Normally cats defecate every day, so it can be considered that a cat suffers from constipation if it is between 2 and 4 days without stool evacuation and it will be considered very serious for more days. We shall take our faithful friend to the vet when 2 days or more have passed after the last stool evacuation. It is not good that we let a cat spend many days retaining feces, as it can be an occasional constipation, but it can also be a chronic constipation or it can be a problem secondary to other diseases, so as soon as possible the Cause and be treated, the better.
Possible causes of constipation
The Causes of constipation in cats are diverse, next we comment the most main ones:
- The diet is one of the most common causes for which a cat can suffer abnormal stool accumulation. When the diet we give our cat turns out to be low in fiber, it ends up causing constipation.
- Lack of water can also be an important factor when our cat has trouble defecating. The h>
Symptoms of constipation in felines
The symptoms of constipation in a cat are diverse, but sometimes we may not realize until it has been several days since the animal fails to defecate. Therefore it is recommended that we check the litter box every day, to be sure of the digestive and urinary health of our faithful friend and to solve any problem as soon as possible.
These are some of the most common symptoms in constipation in cats:
- Spend a lot of time in the litter box
- Try to defecate outside the litter box
- Fear or rejection of the litter box
Treatment of constipation in cats
The treatment for constipation will depend entirely on the cause. It is vital that we never give any medication to our cat on our own. Any medication, laxative or laxative for humans can prove fatal to our feline companion, so medications will only be administered under the prescription of our trusted veterinarian.
Some causes do not require pharmacological solutions since only with a nutritional correction or the cat's behavior can they be corrected and make the feline constipation easily corrected. These easiest cases to solve They are usually:
- An inadequate diet, in which case the veterinarian will recommend giving you a diet higher in fiber and with more water. We will observe that gradually the constipation disappears.
- If the cause is obesity, the veterinarian will recommend a diet to help our partner lose weight and explain how to help you exercise more for cats. As you lose weight you will feel better about everything in general.
- In the event that our cat has obstruction by hairballs we must offer malt for cats.
- Fear or rejection of the litter box can be solved by changing the type of box or type of sand and with positive reinforcement so that confidence in the sandbox is restored.
Instead there more complicated cases, in which constipation is rather a symptom of a major problem, since these are causes that require pharmacological or even surgical treatment:
- When our cat swallows a foreign body, be it a piece of toy, a bone, cloth, threads or other objects, it can easily cause a blockage in the intestines. If it is something big, we will surely notice the problem before constipation develops. But if it is something small or that is gradually accumulating, we will begin to notice that the feline suffers from constipation and other symptoms of discomfort. The veterinarian should perform ultrasound or radiographs among other tests. Depending on the situation, expulsion may be achieved with a specific medication, or surgery may be necessary. Obviously in these cases the most serious thing is not constipation but, after proper treatment, the whole picture will be solved including constipation.
- In other cases, such as when there is an inflammation of the digestive system, an injury to the pelvis, a pain in the lower back or even a neurological problem, it is very important to go to the veterinarian for the first symptoms and for it to perform all the necessary tests to the cat until finding the cause. Once the root of the problem is detected, the veterinarian will recommend the best treatment options which may include medications or surgeries depending on the cause and severity.
05 Apr Constipation in cats: how to detect it and solve the problem
Sometimes, for many possible causes, there may be an accumulation of feces in the colon of our feline friends. The constipation in cats It causes difficulty and pain in the evacuation, and it is a problem that we should not only treat when it occurs, but prevent with healthy habits that prevent its appearance.
Usually a adult cat With a normal life rhythm defecates every day. If at any time we detect that your deposition takes between two and four days, we must take it to the veterinarian as soon as possible.
Causes of constipation in cats
There are many reasons that can cause constipation in cats. These are some of the main ones:
- A low fiber diet and high in carbohydrates.
- Lack of water: Cats are animals that drink a small amount of water a day, and a lack of hydration causes their digestive system to not work properly.
- Pain in any area of his body, but especially in the final part of the spine and pelvis, which prevents our animal can put the correct posture to evacuate feces.
- The obesity, since it makes our cat not move just and, therefore, its metabolism slows down.
- Fear and stress: before these sensations, the animals endure more the desire and can even defecate in places of the house that does not correspond, outside their litter box.
- Hair balls: they can cause constipation in cats if they get stuck and prevent the digestion process.
- Strange bodies: Like hairballs, if the cat has swallowed toys, threads or food debris such as bones, there may be a blockage in the digestive system.
- Renal problems: A kidney failure can cause secondary constipation.
- Inflammatory problems in the digestive tract
Home remedies for constipation in cats
At home we can also do some things to help our cat recover its normal intestinal transit. Next, we will comment some tips and home remedies so you can help your partner:
- Brushing your cat daily will reduce the hairballs and therefore avoid the obstructions that they can produce.
- Offering malt for cats periodically will also help.
- Facilitate access to fresh water and ensure that there is always enough.
- Try to exercise daily, providing space and / or fun circuits>
What symptoms will your cat have if it is constipated?
It is important to be attentive to the behavior and attitude of our cats on a daily basis. Your observation, even if it is superficial and at the domestic level, can give us eloquent indicators with which anticipate a problem. In the case of constipation in cats, of course, there are symptoms that indicate that our cats may have intestinal problems.
If the cat goes to the litter box many times to try to defecate without getting it, and we can even hear groans of pain, we will have to be attentive to take it to the veterinarian if the problem persists. Also if we observe that the cat defecates out of the box, and if your stools are small, hard and dry, or if there is presence of blood or mucus in the stool, it can be a sign of constipation.
Other symptoms may be abdominal pain, meows that denote nervousness or even aggressiveness, decay, lack-or loss-of appetite and weight or carelessness of the fur (He no longer licks it) can also be signs of constipation in cats to which attention should be paid.
Prevent constipation in cats
As a cat gets older, constipation is usually more frequent. Because of this, we can help you prevent this uncomfortable problem in your day to day with some customs that include home remedies. These are some rabbits to avoid constipation in cats:
- Our cat's diet should be balanced, it must contain the necessary nutrients at the same time that a cant>
This article is purely informative, at ExpertAnimal.com we have no power to prescribe veterinary treatments or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian in case he presents any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Constipation in cats - Symptoms and home remediesWe recommend that you enter our section on Intestinal Problems.
How to treat constipation of our cat?
When the symptoms are clear and we know for sure that our cat is constipated, we must consider how to act. It is essential that never, under any circumstances, let's give ourselves a medicine to the animal, including human laxatives and laxatives. Any medication must be prescribed by a veterinarian.
Sometimes it may be enough to follow a diet rich in fiber and water. The malt is a good solution to prevent obstructions by hairballs, and we will also have to look if there is a rejection of the box by the cat, to change the type of sand or the size of the box to ones that are more chords
How to prevent constipation in cats?
As we try to instill with our animal health plans, it is always better to promote prevention than cure, and apply the treatments only when the problem arrives. The best prevention for constipation in cats is a high quality diet, which contains fiber and water in a balanced way. It is also interesting that a moderate percentage of the diet contains blue fish such as tuna, mackerel or sardine, which will help intestinal transit.
Water is another important factor. It's basic that the water is changed daily and always be in abundance: some cats prefer to drink moving water, so drinking from a specific source for animals can help in that regard. In addition, these sources include filters that ensure water quality. In case of not using sources, the ideal is always to give bottled water.
We also have to clean the sandbox frequently of cats, removing feces daily and always keeping it away from their food and rest areas. In addition, encouraging physical activity will help prevent obesity and other diseases that can lead to constipation. Another factor that can help prevent stool obstruction is that the cat is brushed daily, and that we cut his hair when necessary: stripping him of that excess hair will make it difficult for him to swallow large balls that may be blocked.
Before any symptoms of constipation in cats, we must exercise caution and go to our veterinary clinic. Cats are very silent animals in their symptoms, so you should be aware of any changes in their attitude, which could indicate a medical condition.
Do not hesitate to contact us for any questions. You can make an appointment with us at 96 120 60 59.
MY CAT IS SMELL>
If your cat is an adult and consumes food and water, it is normal to defecate every day. But nevertheless, if you observe it takes two or more days without defecating, or that the feces are very dry and hard, most likely suffer from constipation. In this case, it is best to take it to the veterinarian for evaluation.
When your cat is constipated, feces accumulate in the colon and it is usual to be very hard and dry because they can not go out normally through the rectum outwards. If constipation lasts more than two days, intestinal obstruction or other problems may occur. Therefore, it is important that you monitor the evacuation of your cat and that you know what their habits of healthy living and care are.
CAUSES WHY YOUR CAT IS SMILING>
Some of the causes for which your cat can suffer constipation are:
- Dehydration or low water consumption:
Cats do not usually drink a lot of water a day, but if they do not do enough, their feces may become hard and dry.
You should never give leftover bones to your cat, as they can cause constipation or other digestive problems. Even perforations and intestinal obstructions.
Your cat swallows dead hair because it is groomed every day. If you lose a lot of hair, have it long or do not eject the balls, you can tend to suffer constipation.
Intake of a foreign body:
If your cat swallows an object, it can cause intestinal obstruction and, therefore, cause constipation.
If your cat is obese, it is normal to lead a sedentary life and lack of exercise, which can cause constipation. In addition, you may have difficulty getting into the sandbox and put yourself in the proper posture to defecate normally.
in the lower back, hips or hind legs, as it cannot be placed in the proper posture to defecate due to pain.
before changes in the place of the sandbox, the sandbox itself, the type of sand, etc. Also, if the sandbox is dirty, your cat can avoid using it, which can cause constipation.
WHAT SYMPTOMS DOES YOUR CAT PRESENT IF IT IS SMELL>
If your cat is constipated, it is likely to have some of the following symptoms:
- Try to defecate but can't.
- He spends a lot of time in the sandbox but only produces some small, hard and dry stools.
- Meow when trying to defecate.
- Your stools have mucus or blood.
- It decreases your appetite.
- Show apathy
HOW TO AVOID THAT YOUR CAT IS SMELL>
To prevent your cat from cracking it is important that you always have fresh water. If you notice that he drinks little water, motivate him to do it from a fountain or tapWell, many like to do it from running water because it generates sound.
Another option is to mix dry feed with wet cat food. It will give you water and can help you with fluid intake. But nevertheless, It is important that not all your cat's diet is wet, since it can make your teeth more dirty and cause halitosis and tartar. If your cat tends to be constipated, it is best to consult your veterinarian for the best diet for him.
It is essential that the sandbox be in a quiet and easily accessible place. It must also be clean(both the sandbox and the sand). And if your cat is obese, talk to the veterinarian to recommend a diet and healthy lifestyle habits.
If your cat produces many hairballs when grooming, you can give him a small amount of malt for cats once a week. It is also recommended that you brush it daily or 2-3 times a week to reduce hair intake. And very important: never give any laxative or laxative to people! They can be toxic to your cat.